Friday, October 26, 2012

Chief Joseph art - Pyrography

 
As an artist I try to find a deep meaning and inspirational theme for each art piece that I do. Having grown up in the Black Hills of South Dakota I have a natural interest in the culture of the American Indians. Also being a student of history, I have come to understand the basic theory of conquest, and the treatment of those deposed. The plight of the Nez Perce Indians is not much different than so many nations before it or after. It is a sad and shameful part of America’s history as a nation. The part of this tragedy that has affected me so much as an individual were those words that Chief Joseph spoke, “ I will fight no more – Forever.” For such a great warrior and leader of his people to be driven under the heel by his pursuers, makes my heart weep. I could think of no better way to honor such an outstanding individual, than to create this art piece. For my life I will always have those words of sadness etched into my memory. “I Will Fight No more – Forever.” May the spirit of Chief Joseph forever soar with the eagles.
 
 
The burial pry in this art piece was of course, not Chief Joseph’s, but was meant to represent the final resting place that as an American Indian he deserved.
 
 
I put a lone brave into the art piece to show that his memory would be remembered, and that his passing would be mourned.
 
 
In arranging this collage, I wanted to include a portrait of Chief Joseph.
 
 
Originally the art piece was supposed to be square in design with just the words “I will fight no more – Forever.” As I was  finishing the piece it occurred to me that not everyone may know American Indian history as well as I. As I came close to the completion of the project, I decided to add Chief Joseph’s name. So much for proper planning……………….  

 
I hope that those who view this art piece will find the same meaning in it that I do, when viewing it. When the art piece was framed I wanted to keep with a rustic look, so I chose a frame that would replicate tree bark. Then I double matted the art piece, first with beige, and then with a deep coffee brown. I chose to use a suede for the top mat to add texture, and also accent the brown tones in the artwork.
The size of the art piece board is 34 ¾ inches X 24 ¾ inches the purchase price is $2,750.00
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment