Thursday, November 29, 2012

Art Work of Claire Lee Chennault

 
This is the very first woodburning of an American veteran that I created. General Claire Lee Chennault was the commander of the AVG, the “American Volunteer Group” or better known as the “Flying Tigers”.
 
 
When considering the approach to doing an art piece on an American veteran, I wanted to choose an individual that had also influenced my life. Although it may seem a small thing to most people, the very first book I read in grammar school was about the Flying Tigers. Since that early time Gen. Chennault and his Flying Tigers were the heroes I would always want to emulate. I could not think of any better way to honor Gen. Chennault and to show my admiration for his contribution to the freedom we enjoy today, than to create this art piece.
 
 
I had the opportunity to meet four of the flight leaders of the AVG and have them autograph this art work in person. They were, Tex Hill, Dick Rossi, Eric Schilling, and Bob Layher.
 

 

David Lee ”Tex” Hill signing the woodburning art piece I did on Gen. Chennault.
 
 
J. Richard “Dick” Rossi signing my art piece.
 
 
In those early days in China, the Flying Tigers were flying the American built P-40.
 
 
This art piece is 24 inches x 24 inches without the frame. It is sealed in a clear polyurethane finish. This art piece was completed when members of the AVG where still alive and I was able to meet four of the flight leaders, and have them autograph the art piece.  
 
This art piece is 24 inches x 24 inches without the frame. – the purchase price is $850.00

No comments:

Post a Comment